A concussion is a serious condition it is basically “brain damage” that is caused a blow/impact to the head. It may affect the function of the brain temporarily. During a concussion, one may also lose their conscious; however, it may not happen in every case. The effects of a concussion include, but are not limited to, loss of focus, problems with memorizing things, concentration issues etc.
Here, you will find all the information related to concussion and the reasons why you need concussion management in North York location.
Symptoms of Concussion
Some of the common symptoms a person shows in this condition are:
- Temporary amnesia
- A headache
- Pressure in the head
- Loss of consciousness for a temporary period
- Ringing in the ears
- Unclear speech
- Confused appearance
A point you need to know here is that a concussion may not show its symptoms immediately. In some cases, it can take some time for the symptoms and signs to show up. As soon as the symptoms appear, it is important to visit a clinic for concussion management on Eglinton Ave West. Even if a person doesn’t show any of these signs, it is still recommended for them to seek medical help after getting a head injury so that if there is a concussion, it can be diagnosed quickly.
Concussions in Children
Concussions are fairly common with children as they are more prone to get head blows when they play. The problem here is that since children, particularly infants, cannot communicate properly, they cannot express the signs of a concussion. However, by carefully observing their behavior, you may notice certain symptoms including excessive crying, showing irritation, a dazed appearance, and unsteady walking. Furthermore, they may also have an altered sleeping and eating pattern. Some children during a concussion get tired easily.
Concussion in children can prove to be fatal for them; thus, if they show these signs and symptoms, do not waste any time and schedule an appointment for them at a concussion clinic in North York.
Effects of Concussions
Effects of a concussion can last for several days, in some cases; even more than few weeks. Some of the effects a concussion leaves on the patient’s body and behavior are:
- Difficulty in remembering things
- Changes in personality
- Disturbance in sleeping pattern
- Taste and smell disorders
- Sensitivity to noise and light
Causes of A Concussion
As stated above, a concussion is caused by a blow to one’s head. This blow can be a result of any accident. For example, it can be a road accident, a fall, injury during a sports event etc. If a person violently shakes their upper body, it may also result in a concussion.
Treatment of a Concussion
There are numerous factors on which the treatment of a concussion depends. Furthermore, the doctor may conduct diagnostic tests on the patient prior to selecting a treatment for them. Some of the diagnostic tests a doctor may conduct on the patient are:
- Cognitive Testing: These include tests for memory and concentration
- Imagining Testing: An imaging test i.e. a T. scan or MRI may be recommended by the doctor to get a clear image of the brain. This will help them to know whether a clot has developed or not.
- Neurological Testing: Neurological testing includes checking the vision, reflexes, balance, hearing, coordination, and strength of the patient.
This treatment is only followed in severe cases when the patient experiences a serious injury due to which there is swelling or bleeding in the brain.
In case the patient experiences severe recurring headaches, their doctor may recommend them some painkillers to get relief from the pain.
Physiotherapy has also proven to be an effective form of treatment for concussions. It consists of certain light exercises that help the body to heal. It is important these exercises must be performed under the supervision of an experienced therapist for which, you need to visit a concussion management clinic in North York.
A Key Advice: No matter which treatment option your doctor has recommended for you, make sure you are getting plenty of rest. You must stop all sorts of physical activities including playing sports, driving, running etc. By continuing these activities, you will make yourself more prone to suffer from a fatal condition. The time for which you will have to rest depends on the severity of the injury.
How to Prevent Concussions?
Concussions can be prevented by following the given prevention tips:
- Regular exercises can help to minimize the effect of concussions since it strengthens our body and boosts our immune system.
- A concussion can be avoided if one wears a seat belt while driving. It keeps the driver in their place during the accident. Thus, there are fewer chances of a blow to their head.
- The sportsmen and athletes are firmly recommended to wear protective gears, headgears in particular, while they are on the ground. Neglecting this advice can land them in difficult times.
- For children, it is important for their parents or guardians to keep an eye on them while they are playing, crawling or walking. It is during these activities, whey they are more at risk of getting such an injury.
- Lastly, this is an advice for everyone. Make sure your home is safe. There is no such thing on the floor of your home that can result in a fall or slip. Furthermore, ensure each part of your home is well-lit.
Body Dynamics – For Concussion Management
Concussions require proper management for the symptoms to vanish altogether. For this, you need to visit a reliable concussion management clinic in North York i.e. Body Dynamics. Rates as the best health care center for concussion management on Eglinton Ave West, we have a team of professional health experts who can help to manage concussions of our patients and make sure they are healing quickly.